Nidaros Cathedral’s Steinmeyer organ, completed in 1930 for the 900th anniversary of the Battle of Stiklestad, is one of the largest cathedral organs in Europe. The instrument has, however, suffered an unkind fate over the course of time as a result of moves within the cathedral, a reduction of the number of stops, and exposure to dampness and draft. Maintenance of the organ eventually became so demanding that those in charge of its repair could only pray and hope for the best. Many years of tireless effort to have the organ restored, led by former Director of Music Per Fridtjov Bonsaksen, finally produced results, and in the spring of 2012 the municipality of Trondheim agreed to act as guarantor for the cost of the restoration project. In late summer of the same year, Kuhn Organ Builders began the laborious task of dismantling the organ and sending a significant portion of the instrument to its factory in Switzerland for restoration. The following year, in September 2013, work began on installing the organ in its new façade, and in May 2014 it was ready for use. After having stood “with clipped wings” for over fifty years, the organ again has its full range of timbre. The Steinmeyer organ in Nidaros Cathedral is once more one of Europe’s largest and most magnificent cathedral organs, and it has, in addition, been updated digitally, making playing easier — and listening more pleasurable.